Thursday, September 11, 2008

Product Peves

Okay, I absolutely love my new house; first of all that it is mine and besides that it has room that I can work with. That said, I want to complain. We bought brand new Maytag appliances--except we still have our old refrigerator. The oven/stove is fine, does the job, but I hate the controls on the overhead microwave. Everything requires a minimum of 2-3 buttons before engaging. The auto defrost it is better than the Kenmore I was using. It requires a total of three rather than the previous four touches.

I miss my GE it was beautiful. Everything was one touch--no need to even push start a lot of the time. The popcorn button was just one, perfect choice that started as soon as it was touched. Numbers 1-6 were also one-touch and represented the number of minutes it would cook as soon as the number was pressed. If you wanted, say, 10 seconds, then you would push time cook before hitting the numbers to prevent the one-touch activation.

The main issue here is my need to use multiple buttons to prevent uneven wear (which I have discussed in earlier posts Non-Disclosure Agreement and More OCD) The only relief for the soon-to-be-worn-out start button is the add 30 sec button.

I am also not impressed with my new dishwasher. The stupid silverware rack is right in the middle like an old one would be and it only has five compartments. I have trained my children to separate big spoons, little spoons, big forks, little forks, knives, serving spoons, and oversize utensils. now they don't have the space to do that, and neither do I. What's more, the top rack is over-specialized into different levels and angled pegs, minimizing the flexible capacity of the dishwasher. It has some fold-down shelves to double one side of space, but the Kenmore I was using had the same, but without all the odd niches. It also had 9 silverware compartments snugly fit along the side of the bottom shelf, leaving the entire bottom free for whatever configuration the user deems necessary.

That's all I have to say about that.

I have added two more of Clara's letters to the Laygacy blog if you haven't checked that in a while.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe you should sneak in your old house and swap out plastic silverware trays ; )

LUV U

Kim and family said...

I have a similiar dishwasher we bought a few years ago. Needless to say I am not impressed. We have replaced the open lever 2 times already which means you have to replace the electronic start stuff too. 1st time it was still under warranty and 2nd time we did it ourselves. I don't mind the loading but we have really hard water and it builds up in the dishwasher and makes it really stinky over time. So here is what the repairman told me-to save you grief in the future with the same dishwasher. He said to use powdered detergent and make sure you use jet dry. I still have a problem with my glass glasses coming out with crud on them sometimes and it requires 2-3 things. One is to put all glasses in bottom rack for a wash. two is wash dishes with filling the bottom with vinegar. That is a good cheap clean the dish washer tip. And 3 is to get the dishwasher cleaner thingys where you find the jet dry and run it through with that. I hope this saves you some grief that I have had over mine.

The little pull down racks are good for long utensils and they usually clean quite well. I don't have issues with the loading of the dishwasher. Unless your mom loads it. All our dishes will never fit in one load no matter what we do.

Arizona Arnolds said...

Good to know! We are soon to be
buying a dishwasher & I'll keep this in mind!