Monday, September 22, 2008

My Dear Charlotte

Last week I called Charlotte, my old dance teacher. She is 81 now. I found out last year that she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's, but I didn't post about it because it was too close to Sharon's death. I had wanted so badly to visit her this previous summer. She is still doing well. She remembers me, but her voice is very weak. She struggles with her words, but knows not to try to use big words or explain complicated things. She said how much she wanted to see me and I could tell it was for the same reason I had.

She is such a sweet and amazing person. I owe her so much. I wasn't supposed to tell anyone at the studio, but she believed so much in my ability that she insisted I come to class as often as there were classes for me and I would never have to pay. My parents never would have been able to afford what she gave me. I have a hunch that I wasn't the only one in the dance studio she did that for.

While I waited for my classes (my parents usually dropped me of 1-2 hours early) she would have me help her with instruction, and so she groomed me to teach. She gave me opportunities to choreograph and eventually even mastermind an entire production. She has been a loving mentor to me like no other. Thank you Charlotte.

1 comment:

The Woodward Family said...

She did that for me too ($). She was a great person. I'm glad you updated about her. I wonder about her sometimes and if she was still living. So glad she is.

I had so much fun in dance with you and her.