Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Special dinner

I had been planning for a couple of days to use the chicken I had thawed. Isaac made sure I did because he loves it. I also bought corn on the cob, which I only tend to do when they have a good special on it. Little rice for filler makes for a great dinner.

Isaac fired up the grill for me, even though he had offered to grill hamburgers a few days before and Mike said no because Isaac doesn't look good without eyebrows. He is a Boy Scout. He has to be competent with fire. After he lit it, he made the comment that there was a big flame for such a little fire when he started it up. After I took the chicken off the grill I noticed that there were singe pom poms at the end of his eyelashes and a bunch of burnt hair around his face. Fortunately, his eyebrows lie close enough to his face that they were unscathed.

Back to taking the chicken off the grill. That included putting out a fire. We had blackened chicken en flambee. The wings and drumsticks had very little meat under their coating. The breasts were actually nice and juicy once you took off the *ahem* skin? I'm not a bad cook, usually, I just occasionally get caught up with other tasks.

I had to take Mike to the Airport this morning at 4am. He is going to Florida for some sort of meeting. He will be back tomorrow night, so it is not a big deal, I just didn't get much sleep. The babies have finally figured out that they can go to sleep before 11pm, but not last night. Then they woke up only 3 hours later wanting to eat again--even with eating 8 ounces at each feeding. 2 hours later I went to the Airport and an hour after that, they wanted to eat again, which was fine because it was time to get the kids up for school. Anastasia woke up gassy an hour later, so I put her in the swing, but that only satisfied her for 1/2 hour. After another 1/2 hour Amelia was up and they were both ready to eat. I gave up on sleeping. I guess I will get dressed and see if I can fold the 6 batches of laundry I washed yesterday, but I will bathe the girls first. Their pj's smell like rotten milk--ugh!

4 comments:

Kim and family said...

I seem to recall a certain someone catching my stove on fire while I was gone. But it must be genetic. Lee Joe always turns the burners on super high and makes the house stink but a couple of weeks ago he caught the stove on fire too. That was the only other time since that certain someone's visit. I can't wait to get a smooth top range so people will stop trying to burn my house down. That is a good enough excuse to want one anyway isn't it?

Janika said...

Turning the burner on super high is, itself, a genetic trait.

The Woodward Family said...

Do either one of you have a cookbook with a burned imprint of the electric burners on it?

Well, I do. Turned the stove on to heat up and put the cookbook on top of it. Luckily I caught it before it caught fire.

Although, I have had 4 fires in my time in the kitchen...Jason finally got me a fire extinguisher...

Kim and family said...

I have a cook book with a wrinkled cover from heat. Our first stove let heat escape from the oven through a vent and it was hotter than I realized.
But I am seriously afraid of fire so I am extra cautious. Fire is up there with spiders.