Sunday, April 13, 2008

Happy Taxes

Mike and I had an appointment with our Tax prep guy Saturday. Mike has never used a professional. We did not file last year, and he was not too enthusiastic about doing it this year because he thought we wouldn't get much. Even though we have 8 kids (we only had 6 in 2007, we only get two for the child tax credit. Two other parents get two each. Still, I knew that two would be worth something. Mike was already dragging his feet because somehow he owed the IRS 2,000 dollars. I figured if we could file last year's taxes that would pay off that debt and this year we could get $2,000 to keep.

WELL!our tax man got us $8,000! And I have NO problem with his $500+ fee. Mike didn't either, and he said he will be taking our taxes to him every year. This year there is an economic incentive, too that the IRS is shelling out--which amounts to a couple thousand dollars that contributes to that number. Did you know about that?

Before the tax appointment, I took Claire to the mall because she was needing a special mommy daughter day. She also had some money and gift cards that were burning a hole in her pocket.

Oh, and before that, I worked on my bedroom a little more. My husband noticed when he got home Friday that I had done something in my room. He said, "I see you destroyed the room." I confided to him that I figured if I pulled everything out he would help me finish--and he did! Not that it is finished, but I am writing to you from a clean desk with tidy cables and wires tucked carefully behind it--and no dust bunnies.

Before that, I made creamed eggs and toast for brunch. It was too late for breakfast because we slept in. Now I am going back to bed. Mike has been up all night. He thought he was going to have to go into work at 3:30, so he figured he would stay up all night, rather than wake up, but he texted me at 4:30 that they said they would not be ready for him until 6, so he stayed up for nothing. The babies woke up about that time. The computer was still on, and I couldn't resist posting.

3 comments:

Kim and family said...

I like tax years like that. I am trying to light a fire under Lee Joe's bum to get the taxes done so we can get the tax incentive in May. But I have no idea whether to dread seeing the final figures yet or not.

Arizona Arnolds said...

Yes we love having lots of children and a Republican President! Our whole summer plans revolve around that great tax credit.
Hey, would you like to come clean my room too? I would gladly hold and feed babies instead of work on my house...which maybe why is has issues after 5 kids!

Janika said...

I hear you Marla. Anyone who would rather clean than hold babies is insane!