Sunday, May 25, 2008

Service Project

I did not do much with this blog this week because I was working with high school classmates to get a blog started for us. The beta version of it was linked over there on the right, but I have updated it now. One classmate has responded so far. There were only 29 of us, 26 of whom graduated. Two of us are working together to reconnect the group.

Then, Thursday and Saturday I was cutting out and sewing flannel for a Relief Society service project. We are making wraps, clothing, caps, and blankets in iddy bitty sizes for parents whose babies are stillborn or premature and die. The parents often want to hold their infant's body and say good-bye to them and take pictures. The hospitals are not equipped to provide anything for dressing the babies, so we are donating them as a Stake to one of the local hospitals.

I cut out 18 cap and wrap sets and have sewn over 1/2 of them. It makes me sob to think of what they are for. It could be really depressing, but I hope that the sweet little items will be the bright spot for those in such a dark time. I have thought about you quite a bit through this, Dove. I am so thankful for my own sweet babies and that all of my children have been essentially complication free. It helps me treasure them more.

1 comment:

The Woodward Family said...

When Elizabeth was born, the nurse put this teeny little pink and white hand knitted cap on her head. There is a label on the inside who made it...and it was a treasue (still is) It is something real and tangible you can hold on to. Just knowing the cap was on my little girls head makes feel closer to her. It sits on the teddy bear the nurse also gave us, along with the blanket and her pictures and her ashes in a little basket by my bed. Good job on a great service project. Trust me, your works will be very much appreciated!