Saturday, May 31, 2008

Girly Party





Claire took the cue from Andrew and figured out that if she wanted to have a birthday party, she needed to tell her friends about it, plan it, and then tell me she needed help with invitations.

About seven girls, mostly classmates showed up--not without drama. One of Claire's usual hang-out friends (I won't say best friends) gave her official notice that she was not her friend anymore. This girl is always trying to make Claire chose between friends and telling her who she can or can't hang out with. Of course, they'll be buddies again in a week or two.

Those who came over had a good time. They were dressed or accessorized in princess style. Claire shared her tiara. We ate Cheetos and Doritos with a variety of sodas. Then, since Claire does not like frosting on her cake, but didn't feel it would be acceptable to serve fronstingless cake, she asked for donuts.

I did not direct any activity, I just let them play. Well, I did teach them how to jump together on 1-2-3 on the trampoline. It all went rather smoothly. I think I have a developed a party parenting guide for my life. When the kids are old enough to do their own party, they can have one. Anastasia and Amelia will have no streamers and party hats surrounded by 3-year-old friends.

The gifts were nothing extravagant--thankfully, since the party was nothing extravagant. She had opened most of her presents from us the night before. I gave her a mini backback printed with 101 dalamations for carrying her Littlest Petshops to her dad's house, which was kind of a hint about her other present. Years ago we made the kids get rid of all but 3 stuffed animals and 3 kinds of toys (barbie, Lego, Hot Wheels, etc). Claire has often regretted one of the animals she gave away. It was a spot-developing Oddball from 102 Dalmations. Well, I found it on ebay.

I am really irritated with the way most of the pictures came out, though. Besides the trampoline, this is the best one.

No comments: