Monday, March 31, 2008

Song Request

Emylie asked me this afternoon if I could send her the lyrics to one of the songs I wrote that I sing to the kids on occasion. I did not feel like texting it, and she doesn't have a working email, so she suggested I post it. It was originally a poem--two separate ones that I wrote before I got out of high school. I put the lyrics into their current form not long before Claire was born and created the melody about the same time. It begins with the chorus.

Every year a thousand love songs,
Are not even sung.
A thousand more will come along,
But won't be number one.

A thousand love songs don't begin
To sing the song of heart.
Love is endless and eternal.
One song, the smallest part.

Verse
Why does love inspire the poet,
With countless verse and song?
Is it the pain that many feel,
When love affairs go wrong?

The joy of love inspires the poet,
With wonder that it brings.
Never should our hearts forgo it.
It is what makes us sing.

Repeat Chorus.

Love you Emylie.

No comments: