Saturday, August 02, 2008

Magic

I forced myself to stop reading so I could go to sleep, only to turn on my blogger. I had a though I wanted to record while I remembered it.

Last night, I hung out at Barnes & Noble until well after midnight waiting for my copy of Stephanie Meyers new release Breaking Dawn. To minimize my fanaticism, I want to say it was for Arren's benefit, but I don't know if that's true. Anyway, I'm thinking about books like Twilight, Harry Potter, Narnia, etc. and I'm musing about their potency. Why do people get so involved in these imaginary worlds? Are we just a bunch of escapists? Do we unconsciously want to believe in myths and legends and magic? Why?

No, there are no such things as vampires and witches, magic wardrobes and werewolves. The socially functional of us readily recognize that. So why do we get so hooked on these books whose plots are intricately connected with our reality, and take us so far from it.

But that was my thought. Is it so far from our reality? Isn't this thirst for magic just a longing of the soul for its true origin? The reality is, there is a power beyond humanity. The magic is Diety. Just like Bella, and Harry, and Lucy that magic is part of our destiny, because we are more than ordinary humans. We have a powerful and infinite potential. The only thing that makes them different from their ordinary human peers is that their eyes are opened through the story to their potential destiny. They are willing to see outside of the ordinary world.

Our faith in our potential as literal Children of God sets us apart from our peers. It gives us real power--maybe even enough to call down miracles. But at the very least to see the miracle that our lives are--being without beginning, and without end. The only difference with us and the characters is that we don't have to keep a secret, because we know that our peers are just as entitled to the heritage, destiny, and magic that is ours--and we want it for them. We know that our Divine Father is the giver of all these things, and that he wants to give it to all of his children. Because we love him and he loves them, we love them. In loving them and sharing with them, our power actually grows. In truth, the power and the magic is very simply, but very profoundly, Love. Every heart knows it. Every beloved story ever told shows it.

Love is the question, and love is the answer. But mostly, love is the magic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

But what if its all made up, Just like Harry Potter?

The Woodward Family said...

That is really some very deep thinking there lady.

Unknown said...

true...true...

Janika said...

Thomas, I've thought about that, but just like the characters in the story, who do not know its real until it becomes their own experience, we find the truth one magic experience at a time--I bet you were just trying to be funny.