Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Breaking Dawn

Okay, bear with me and my fanaticism. If you haven't read the Twilight series, you probably won't get it, so this is for those of you who care.

I am looking at a sticker by my desk that says "I was bitten by Breaking Dawn" that I got at the Lewisville Barnes & Noble midnight book release party. I had never gone to one before. We did not pre-order, but my friend that I went with picked a place for us to sit and read books for the last hour. The aisle we sat in was where they decided to start the first-come-first-served line, so after all the pre-orders bought, we were the first to get it. We had a blast with that. People would come by and ask where the end of the line was.

"I don't know, way back there somewhere."

"Is this the end of the line?"
"No this is the beginning the end is in another aisle."

"This is the beginning of the line? That sucks!"
"For you," under my breath.

Man, that was fun! Lexi was with us, so she came along too. Her friend Shannon and a few girls she had met from girls camp were there. I was really glad for her sake that she didn't have to hang out with us.

It will be her birthday (Aug 8) before we see her again, so I took her shopping and gave her some stuff I had been hiding away. I started reading the book to Mike on Saturday morning. We had a lot of interruptions (obligations, whatever you want to call them) throughout the weekend. Mike had to go to work before 7am for a few days and was very tired by Saturday night, so we didn't get very far before he started snoring. But I read to him while he was driving and working until his phone died.

Lexi was occupied reading the third book "Eclipse." over the weekend. We took them back last night. Because it was her birthday, I was committed to buying a second copy of the book so that she could take one to her mom's house with her. We didn't get a chance to before it was time to separate, so I just gave her the copy I had, with only three chapters remaining for me to read. (I say me because Mike "worked from home" while I took Lexi shopping and finished the book--Jerk.) We stopped at our first Wal Mart on the way home.

I saw the other three books in the series and knew I had a problem. I just wandered around, stunned, thinking it would appear, with a sense of hollowness like Bella wandering in the forest before Sam Uley found her. I walked out empty-handed.

We drove the access road scanning shopping centers for another place that might have another copy for me. When we found a B&N Mike went in this time to a similar scene. He asked a cashier, if there were any copies left. She thought there might be one. There were only three. *Whew* I didn't have to steal Arren's copy and prevent her husband from reading.

The cover has chess pieces on it. Not until the las five chapters do you understand--it is perfect.

It is the final book of the series, but there is certainly wiggle room for some stories from other people's perspective--a different series. The most obvious is Jacob. There are plenty of other characters that could have their own story, if not their own series.

Anyway if you made it this far and you haven't read the books, you have enough time on your hands that you should. Stephanie Meyer, Twilight. Get with it.

6 comments:

Arizona Arnolds said...

THANK YOU for not spoiling the story! I still have so much to read, but luckily the kids go back to school tomarrow and I think that should give me enough time. I can't believe all the husbands you know who read these! I thought Mike was singular. Around here they are stricktly chick bait.
I am LOVING all the twist and turns. You for sure need to read her web site, which already has the first chapter from a book that is written from Edward's perspective (MIdnight Sun). GREAT!
I am so glad you caught the bug :)
The web site is her name, but she spells it Stephenie-enjoy!

The Woodward Family said...

They have a ton of copies at our Wal-Mart...too bad I'm here and you're there...

Anonymous said...

Walmart here has a ton because us Nevadans don't have time to read, we are too busy, with all the sinning we have to do.

Yamaha Drummer said...

Actually, it's because Nevadans can't read... it's been outlawed. The gaming commission was afraid that someone might figure out what the REAL odds of hitting the jackpot was.

Marla, I kept giving Lexi a hard time saying stuff like, "Where are you in the book? Has Jacob died yet?" At first she'd freak, but now she just looks at me funny. I really want Jacob to die...

Love You!

Shemnon said...

Those were the best books ever! If I die I wanna be buried with them....if I don't get turned! I can't wait to hear Edward's perspective! I'm sure its soooooo different than Bella's. All I can say is, loved it, loved it loved it!!


P.S. Arren, if you read this ....uh.... somebody else typed this.

Unknown said...

I "Listened" to the first book on my Ipod. . . It was ok. I was listening intently but wasn't as drawn in by it as others have been. It does leave you wondering. . .what's going to happen next?