Monday, August 11, 2008

Fanatic

There are very few things in my life--outside of family and church that I really get into. Apparently, the Twilight series, though that has not stood the test of time, as yet. I make every effort to watch American Idol. But before all that, and for decades of devotion, I love, love, the Olympics--winter, summer, it doesn't matter the event. I make every effort to watch all of the network coverage of it--despite my disdain for NBC. I am so glad they decided to stagger years so I don't have to wait a full four years before I get my Olympic fix. Every two years, two weeks of my life is dedicated to wrapping myself in the drama of human achievement and tragedy.

I enjoy figure skating far more than gymnastics, mostly because there is so little dance to gymnastics, even in the ladies floor routine. I would like to see a brilliant choreographer make it a floor exercise look more like a series of disjointed set-ups for strings of tumbling passes. It bugs me, too, how their pirouettes more often than not fall off to the side instead of remaining center--meaning their focus is on power more than control. Still what they do is amazing and I love to watch it. I wish synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics got more air time.

One thing I have done to minimize my obsession is not subscribe to the pay per view coverage or look for streaming video on the website. Afterall, I have a house to clean up and move out of in two weeks. The closing process has met with a lot of bumps, but we are signing on Wednesday and moving out the 23rd. The kids start school on the 27th. I have a couple of things to do. Don't expect a lot of blog participation this month--unless I get so stressed out that I want to withdraw from my responsibilities.

4 comments:

Kim and family said...

I think water polo is stupid. I like beach volleyball but I wish the girls wore more clothes. I am sure the guys don't mind. We watch the coverage off and on. Michael Phelps is just fantastic. I think I like the winter Olympics better though. One of the American gymnasts looks like Wade a lot.

Good luck on all the moving. I can't imagine how much of a mightmare that would be for us. I can't wait to see pictures of the new place someday. No pressure though. At least your twins are not completely mobile yet. Could you imagine what that would be like trying to move with 2 high speed babies?

The Woodward Family said...

If you're busy, you'll keep out of trouble, but you may loose it, so be careful, cuz I'm not there to help you find it.

Can't wait to see pictures, either.

Enjoy the olympics. I'm with you. I just love, love, love them. I keep trying to talk J into the winter 2010...we're not that far from Canada.

Unknown said...

CONGRATS!!!

Unknown said...

Like Devanie everyday. . .Moving with 2 high speed babies! =) ;)