Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Change

Yes, I'm very disappointed. I am anxious (in the anxiety sense) about what the future holds. However, I am calm and resigned.

Before McCain nominated Palin for VP, I had no interest in him, except as opposition to Obama. I expected that Republicans could not hold on to the Presidency with approval where it has been. It is just the cycle of politics.

The great advantage to Obama's win is that Mitt Romney can run again in 4 years, where if McCain won, he would run again in '12, and if he won Palin would be a shoe-in canditate in '16, blocking up 2 elections minimum, and possibly 3. And if there were that may succesive terms of Republican rule, America could not possibly sustain support for another term. As is, we get a break from the Republicans and get reminded of what America is like under Dem's, so we can appreciate a need for Republican balance.

Some are concerned that Obama meets the description of the Anti-Christ in Revelation. I am not convinced of that. I do find it interesting that in our post 9-11 world our country selected someone with some Muslim background and sympathies. I don't think that is wrong, as much as it is an interesting commentary about our perception of differences and enemies. During the Cold War and before, there was a national hype that was government and media supported about who was a danger to our country. If you even went to a meeting a communist attended, there was a huge shadow over your head, and you were considered a threat to national security.

Perhaps the McCain campaign percieved that Americans were still subject to communist hysteria (20 years after the end of the cold war, making legal voters who never knew that world) and reasoned that questioning Obama's associations would create fear and suspicion as in years past. They failed miserably in the campaign on so many counts.

I am glad we don't have that sort of xenophobic hype or stereotyping prejudice any more. But now it is like we are not allowed to have enemies. I am not talking about Muslims here, but Jihadists who have declared war on us. The social standard of tolerence need not apply there.

Obviously, I am no longer talking about Barack Obama. He is not a professed Muslim. Rev. Wright's church was bible based (if only tenuously). Yes we need to love everyone and accept their differences. What is tragic is the extrapolation beyond that that it is not okay to disagree with others; to stand up for your personal convictions. The extrapolation worsens to a modern philosophy that there is no right or wrong to defend or fight against, respectively. If we would just give up all our ideals and convictions or avoid sharing them we could have world peace, the philosophy continues. Loving the sinner means being required to love sin. Loving our international neighbor means accepting opressive leaders in the name of peace. Again I stray from my original topic to clarify that when I think of social demand for acceptance of sin, I am thinking of things like homosexuality and abortion, which I certainly don't associate with Muslims or even terrorist who abhor those sins as well. The whole philosophy I am discussing at this point is radical leftist atheism (which with the modern doctrine of evolution--not Darwinian evolution--to me qualifies as a religious creed.)


Back to my original intent: Dennis Miller said on Monday that if Obama won he would not spend the next 4 years bad-mouthing the president, even though he is a 100% McCain supporter. He is tired of criticism and negativity. I totally agree. Of course, since the media is always more kind to a Democrat, it won't be too much of a problem. Still we can only weaken our country by being more unkind to and critical of our leaders than we are of our enemies--even when our leaders have brought us to victory over our enemies. Sickening.

It is time to heal and pray that despite liberal leadership, the body of Americans will have an increasing sense of morality and decency. Our economic future depends on it. The over-riding theme of the Book of Mormon is 'Inasmuch as you keep the commandments of God, living with faith in Jesus Christ who should come, you shall prosper in the promised land of the Americas.'

There is much more to be said about that, but I have micro concerns of my own for today.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your post.

All we can really do now is pray that all will be as they need to be and that we can all be happy. I'm not too concerened about his ability to make change happen. It rarely happens very fast at all, there are too many people in the senate that can deny some changes that the people really don't want. Plus according to the popular vote only about 52% of America even kinda likes him.

The Woodward Family said...

You summed it up great! You said what's in my mind that I just can't put to words. Thank you!

Janika said...

DC I deleted your comment to avoid antagonistic responses, but I have edited this post in response to your questions. You will see that most of the issues you addressed were because you misunderstood my intent. My thoughts in the original post were sloppy, spontaneous, and disjointed. Hopefully, I have corrected that. Thank you for your participation.