Sunday, September 09, 2007

I Hate School

The kids are enjoying their new school and doing really well. I am happy for them, and I love learning and encourage them to do it. Still, I hate school. Every day there is another note for $5 for this or $10 for that, and we need $15 for another thing. As if my neighbors and landlord don't pay enough taxes to cover that! Just kidding--kind of.

Then there are planners and notes to sign and homework to follow through with and check up on. Then the short time that is left of the evening, after I have taken the time to make a decent dinner, is just enough to exert all my remaining energy to hound the kids about completing their chores. We have time to read scripture and say prayer (usually) and go to bed in order to get the needed full night's sleep. Of course, it wouldn't be any big deal if they would just do their homework, eat their dinner and finish their chores, but they do not.

I have to admit, though, that having the children properly trained to do chores has been a significant relief to me. I do not do dishes--except the weekends when the kids aren't here. It is then I miss them most. It is impossible for one woman to work part time, as I do and maintain a civilized home by herself. But it really is a blessing to have children who are old enough to fully participate in house care and be held responsible for its success (to my standards).

I am most excited with Isaac's progress this year. They gave him Pre-Athletics during 7th period, which qualifies him to participate in whatever competitive sports they are focusing on for the season. Isaac opted to sign up for an additional hour of "P.E." in the form of football practice. Because he is still small (though he has grown so much these past months that his Sunday clothes look funny on him) he is a receiver. There is a fascinating growth in his maturity since school started. His voice is cracking as well.

Since I am falling asleep, I leave you here.

5 comments:

Kim and family said...

I have considered having a stamp made with my signature on it. What you are talking about is all the stuff I dread as well. And you forgot about the paper trail that comes home with the kids. ACK!

Janika said...

Mike hates all the talk about global warming and how we are ruining the environment. He finds it funny that the schools, who are some of the biggest promoters of "earth consciousness" are the most gigantic wasters of paper.

The Woodward Family said...

I think teachers also think that everyone only has ONE kid! And that the average family just has extra money laying around to cover all the expenses that were covered when I was in school. Like kleenex. Why do I have to supply 6 boxes of kleenex? And $4.00 for Weekly Readers? Sorry, but Lyon County was a POOR county in the 80's, and that was all covered by them. I told Jason we need to start budgeting now for next year...about $100 per kid...

Kim and family said...

Just wait till high school. Registration for Amber was over $80, Band camp is $150 their trip will be another 100. I heard to join choir it is 600 and you buy the formal too. And then with AP classes we will have to pay for her finals at the end of the year. Another $80 each. Drivers ed is $160. Crazy!!

Janika said...

Some people wonder why there are so many people homeschooling these days. Go figure.