Sunday, August 12, 2007

Couple Time

I was excited about having a whole week without the kids and told my husband that we were going to do something and go somewhere every night, because these last weeks before school starts will be the last that we have since the kids will be with us during the school year.

Instead, Mike got called into work most nights because the network or yada yada was down. He was up until midnight for three nights in a row. The good news is, he is paid hourly, not salary. He is also able to initiate whatever needs to be done at the office and then monitor it from home.

One of those nights we went to a movie before he had to go in. It was a pre-release screening that we got tickets to because Mike's friend works at a local radio station. The movie was horrible, with no redeeming value. There were a lot of bar and party sceenes. About 1/3 of the way through, a guy sat right next to me--when there were 3 other seats before the aisle--who smelled very strongly of alchohol and cigar. I thought the movie was suddenly in smell-o-vision. I felt like I was there and it gave me a major headache. The guy kept leaning into my space and trying to engage conversationally. I was virtually sitting on Mike's lap and breathing his shoulder to avoid the creep. I leaned over and said something about it to Mike and his friend when the movie was over. Mike's friend said, "be nice, he's my business partner." Ugh! I left in a bad mood. It was a super bad movie with a terrible environment The rest of the nights I was alone.

I was excited about having all day Saturday with my husband, but while I was at Target shopping for a swimsuit (since I had gotten a $50 Target gift card from my electric company for enrolling in one of their special programs) Mike got a call from the same abovementioned friend who reminded him that the Rush concert was that night and if he could help the radio station work their booth from 4:30 to concert time he could swing a worker's pass for him to get into the concert. One ticket was all they had to offer.

I did not have the heart to keep him from seeing one of his favorite bands, so I was alone for the night, yet again. I could not even call anyone while I was by myself because my purse was stolen on Friday and I had no cell phone, and my newly installed home phone had been left off the charger the day before. Mike gets emails on his phone, so I was able to write him on the computer and do a sort of impromptu IM. By intermission the phone had enough juice for him to call and talk to me for a minute. He was sweet.

We have no kids again this week. Maybe it will be better this time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's tough. Scheduling couple time is sometimes the hardest! I feel for you. Wayne was supposed to be home tonight, but got called to go to court in Reno. One or the other of us will be gone every other night this week. (I'm actually only gone on Tuesday for YW. He's gone the rest of the week for either work or church). I give him a hard time about being married for eternity, because I feel like that's the only time I'll see him ... in eternity!

The Woodward Family said...

Does Jodi have a blog? I changed my blog so anyone can comment.

Jan, I'll e-mail you my number tomorrow, so you can call me. I'm home alone every nite with Jason working 2 full time jobs (that's why we are going thru everything we are right now) I could sure use a call from you, as it sounds like you could too! :)

Kim and family said...

I have learned how to do it alone for some time now. But the kids are always here or I am running with them morning til night. Good luck on the together time this week.

Unknown said...

Some of us get "Couple Time" only a Couple times a year. . .if we are lucky. . .or if we have some disposable money.