Tuesday, May 01, 2007

PBS and Mormonism

I watched most of the Frontline episodes of the American Experience that explored Mormonism. No publicity is bad publicity. I did not really like the way they treated many of the subjects and cut off the remaining sentences of Dallin Oakes and Elder Packard. Really, four hours is not enough time to treat such a complicated subject as our faith. I, myself could talk about the subject endlessly.

I think what bothered me most is the persistence with which they implied that we do not think for ourselves because of the church's emphasis on obedience. That's not the church I belong to. Obedience is based on the principle of free will. They emphasized that free thinking was suppressed, and intellectualism denied a voice. How is it, then, that I, a hyper-analytical, nothing-inside-the-box person, could feel so at home and be so accepted and appreciated when I raise my hand in Sunday School or bear my testimony on Fast Sunday?

Still, I am thankful for the program. Hearing contradicting points of view and challenges to my faith, my mind easily reverts back to the hours upon days, year after year that I have spent in study and prayer, trying to understand my faith, my relationship with God and the place of the Church in all that. I really began to have a testimony of God's power and truth because I heard the arguments of opponents.

More than once in my life, everything I hoped for and perceived as reality was shattered. Holding on to faith in those circumstances has been like the struggle of a novice swimmer in a rolling ocean--one who is determined to make the shore. But the waves of doubt and conflict, are what I use to carry me to the shore.

Tonight, my hurting heart remembers when my faith was not so feeble. Remembrance of knowledge that once filled my mind pours in. Truth remembers this soul who loved it so dearly. They are only words. Flowery eloquence doesn't satisfy. God is my Redeemer. He is real. He reveals truth to the hearts and minds of those who seek. I have found--again.

4 comments:

Kim and family said...

We watched the program both nights. Lee Joe and Amber watched more than I did. I thought it was interesting the sides they shared but those people that are active and believers were powerful witnesses. I liked what was said by the man in New Orleans. The black woman was fantastic. The church allowed the woman that developed the program have access to leaders like never before. So many of the things that were shared that were positive were good. In Ghana, that was extraordinary what happened there. And the best part is that we can all determine for ourselves whether or not it is true. What we are going to do about it. And anybody that is anti mormon will find any little thing to grab anyway to hold it against the church. It is all about faith anyways. How did the church develop as strong as it has? By the faith and prayer of its members. And anything negative to remember is the leaders may have made mistakes at times but they are people and imperfect. That makes us human and a part of the earth experience. As far as Amber watching it-her seminary teacher told the kids about it and asked them if they had questions in seminary yesterday.

Unknown said...

Amen Sister.

Unknown said...

What's the Deal with Mike not going to Iraq? Are you going to go back to Bed Bath and Beyond? What's he going to do? There's a guy out here paying $17/h for landscapers I can hook him up. Housing out here is still pretty reasonable too.

Kim and family said...

So now I am curious too. What's up? you were keeping us updated so well too. I will hope for the best for you guys though.