Friday, May 18, 2007

Look! New Post!



It is nearing the end of the semester for a certain seventh grader. That means there are a bunch of project and assignments due. Of course, Isaac has avoided telling us about these things, or has puttered around so much that it is like waiting till the last minute. For english, he had to make a five-page comic, which I didn't have to be on him about too much. I can't even remember what the other two projects were. He has been working all sememster on his County Project for Texas history. There were 11 projects. He had done them, but some of them were not so good. His teacher made a deal with him that if he redid all of the projects and tidied it up, he could up his grade on those assignments. I had been trying for weeks to get him to redo a project every night. Monday before they were due, on Tuesday he ended up having to complete three of the projects.

His drama project was due that day as well, but I asked his teacher for an extension because it was a music video, and I had left my video camera at a friend's house. She was shipping it to me and it would not arrive until the due date. So we spent tuesday night making the video. I sent Isaac to bed and ended up staying up until 2:30 editing it. I had never done such a thing. We had to use two different editing programs to put it together because the one that was malfuctioning for final edit was the only one that made it easy to cut clips to paste into the timeline. It was actually really cool.

I have never done homework for a child, but I don't think I robbed Isaac of any learning experience that he will not be able to make up in the near future. It was just drama class anyway.

I was asked a couple of weeks ago to do a skit for Relief Society Enrichment meeting. I was to be Dorothy in the Wizard of Aahs. The skit was something some goofy mormon woman in some distant land had posted on the internet. It was horrid. I was trying to memorize it last night in the last hour before Enrichment meeting, and Isaac informed me that he had to be at the school for his band concert in 20 minutes. I tried to call the RS President and the enrichment counselor to let them know I would be late, but they were already at the church setting up, I guess. I knew that our number was the opening, so I would mess up a lot of things if I was late.

Isaac's concert started at 6:45. I left in the middle of the last number at 7:00 and left Isaac to walk home. Mike was at a friend's working on his computer. I called and asked him to pick Issac up. He got dinner for the boy, and I made it in time to run over the play in the bathroom with the other two sisters who were in it during the opening song and prayer and announcements. We blundered through it and our audience had a good time. I don't know if they understood the message. Fortunately, they had a cooking class that amounted to a meal, because I was starving.

That almost sounded like a Kim, posting, didn't it?

2 comments:

Kim and family said...

Don't ya JUST love days like that? And that was one kid for you! I am loving the little bit of leisure time I have after school now. Doing things like laundry and making REAL dinners.

Janika said...

I did think when I was writing how it was only one kid that was making all this work for me.