Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Happy Holidays

I had a happy holiday. It wasn't Christmas. But it was a holiday--a shortened term for holy day. Holy days make me think of the God I love and Christ who shows God's love by his life, sacrifice, and continuing revelation. That is something to give thanks for. I had a happy Givingthanks day. Short attention span people go do something else now and come back tomorrow. I won't post anything new before then, I promise. Savor my post one paragraph at a time. Save some for later. You never know when you will get another. I went to Missouri, where Mike's parents live for Thanksgiving. We had a little cold snap, but no snow--like we did at Devanie's last year. The kids were hoping. The weather was absolutely perfect, though. Mike's parents live 1/2 mile from the temple site at Far West, which is now labeled Cameron, MO. They have a store with plans to develop acoomodations for retreats and reunions. Check out their website. farwesthistorical.org They have over 40 acres of land and two ponds, which the kids had a blast exploring.

I took some cell phone pictures, but I think the kids deleted some. As you can see, they did not delete all the one's they took. Many of them had cell phones (without service) to play games on for the ride. I shared mine to keep them occupied. That is the price I pay.
There are a few other church historical sites close by. Liberty Jail is about 50 minutes from Far West (NOT horse and buggy time, mind you). Adam-ondi-ahman is 30 minutes. I took some great pictures there, but not with my cell phone because by then, the battery was dead from the kids playing on it. I got one, at least. We didn't make it to Haun's Mill, which is one of the closest things, but we will be back again.

Mike's dad is an airline pilot. He was in Jerusalem at the beginning of the week. He came home at lunch time on Thanksgiving. Mike deep fried the turkey and it only took an hour and 1/2. I did a lot of the rest because Mike's mom (Consie) had to go pick up Dad (Craig). We had all the usual except that instead of candied yams, we deep fried the sweet potatoes as well--french fry style. They were most excellent delicious with creamed butter and brown sugar to dip it in. We might be rednecks.

Some of Craig and Consie's friends came over to visit for a little while. Isaac learned some of the basics of football spectatorship. We were in a Broncos household an hour away from Kansas City, where the Broncos and Chiefs were playing. Mike found out the tickets were ridiculously cheap, but nobody thought ahead on that one.

All the days before Thanksgiving--we got there Saturday evening--I was helping Consie unpack and orgainze because she has had limited time to do that since she moved (mid-September). I enjoyed being able to help. We get along great.

In other news:
I got back on Friday night and went into my first full day of work on Saturday. I am settling in and getting more confident about meeting expectations. Saturday I learned how to fold towels. I bet you thought I knew. Well, anyone can fold a towel, but it takes a professional to FOLD TOWELS. How you fold it is different, depending on where the towel goes. Today was my first day at the cash register. I did about 4 returns and another 20 checkouts. It was funny when, after about 10, someone handed me cash. I had to ask what to do with it. She was the only one all day at my register. The rest of the time I was folding towels from the stockroom to put out front. That is the job I was hired for. When I say I worked today, that is probably what I did. I'll let you know if there is anything drastically different.

Having a job has made doing my homework much more difficult. On monday, after having gotten back from the trip, I had a four page paper and a test due before midnight, for which I had done zero reading or research prior. Saturday I managed to finnish up my posting assignments. In addition, Isaac had a history research paper that was due as well. That is why you did not get this blog-post any sooner. This week I have an 8-page term paper and 6 required postings.

And finally, with all my vacation laundry, as well as laundry from the days leading up to it, and limited work wardrobe, it was really important to do wash. after the second load, my agitator on my washing machine was gone. I took a load to my visiting teacher's house just down the road. I have more to do tonight.

I should have been doing homework all this time. Now I have to get some food. We have been scrounging since we got back. See if you can't find something in there to comment on. Love y'all!

9 comments:

The Woodward Family said...

The long disertation was just fine. Don't let others bug you about it...the pictures are great too. The one with the car next to you brings back memories of temple trips...Is their tire going around?

Kim and family said...

You're starting to sound hugely Texan with yall going on. I tried real hard not to become one myself while I was there. Glad your enjoying the job thing. And the trip was a safe enjoyable one. Take care.

Maryanne said...

So what price did you pay? Did you mean the price you pay for the cell phone? Or the price you pay letting them use the cell phone you lost valueable pictures? I was confused on that sentence. However I did Read everything except the last paragraph. I will get that on another day. Sense you are being so thoughtful making your next one so short. What a doll. Anyway your picture reminded me of trips in the F.I.S.H Van.

Unknown said...

Love you! Miss you!

Janika said...

The price for letting my kids play games, etc. on the cell phone is losing things I thought I had, or having a dead battery so I can't take pictures when I am ready.

Lovey love!

Maryanne said...

Time for a new blog.

Kim and family said...

I suppose you meant Happy Holidays for the whole month of Dec too. Does that include New Years?

The Woodward Family said...

I think Janika needs the multiple blog comments attention! She only blog when we comment numerous times! Blog comment hog! :)

Maryanne said...

I have to agree with Kim and Dove. Maybe she has writers block.