Monday, January 16, 2006

Rein, Rain, I won't go away

We are in a drought in East Texas. The swamps are nothing more than mud bogs. We have had an extremely mild winter, but I don't mind becuase gas is what I use for my heating. Though it is 65 degrees outside (Ferenheit for international readers) it is cloudy and wet. It is about time. The rain is so slow, though that I don't know if it will make a difference.

I have gotten a tremendous amount of things done today without even feeling stressed because the kids are with their dad and will be all this week, for the first time since Christmas. They have had a few scattered days with him, but that is all.

Yesterday was the first time that the kids and their dad and I all sat in church together since we split because it was stake conference and Dallin H. Oakes was our visiting General Authority. Both of us had guests with us. Matt had his girlfriend, Julie, who has a 13 year-old daughter and is presently Catholic, and I had this guy, Mike, whom I have told is not nor ever will be my boyfriend, nevertheless, he wants to go to church with me and talk to the missionaries. He really liked the meetings. We went to the Saturday session as well as the regular Sunday session, and before that started there was a small meeting for new and newly reactivated members/investigators. Matt and Julie were in that one too. The kids even behaved fairly well for all of it.

Dallin told me Saturday night that it was okay for me to go ahead with my ideas for a special choir presentation and take some initiative on it, instead of waiting for approval. He told me that Anson Call was one of Brigham Young's favorite settlers. He was so motivated that he had to be restrained. When Brigham said in 1846 that they were going to get wagon trains together and cross the plains, Anson got a group together and was in Iowa when Brigham said, 'Come back. We aren't going until next year.' It is better for me to do stuff and have the Bishop rein me in than to wait for him to give me instructions. It's gonna be fun.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So. . . you think you are on a first name basis with President Dallin H. Oakes now aye? I don't think so Sister Rifley. . .(foot tapping)
I'm so glad you are doing missionary work, it gives me motivation to as well. Keep it up!