Sunday, October 15, 2006

First Week of School

This week Isaac changed schools. He is living with me full time now because his dad did not have enough time to help him be successful in school, nor the ability to deal appropriately with the situation. So Isaac now goes to Coppell Middle School, East. He has band, english, drama, Texas history, and Pre-AP Math and Science.

He is really excited about being in a new environment and having a fresh start. He is really motivated to get home, do his homework, and asks me what he can do around the house. That has something to do with wanting to play the XBox 360. He is a total junkie for Tony Hawk American Wasteland. As much as I hate video games, I must admit, they are a very useful motivational tool. All digital interactive entertainment should be so utilized. Sure we like it to occupy the kids time when we need to get something else done, but they don't know that. Get them to work for you to earn it then get them out of your hair when they play it. Maybe god had a hand in their invention after all.

This week for some reason, my van wasn't starting. I had a neighbor jump it and it was fine, but an hour later it wouldn't start again. It probably has something to do with the starter or fuel injection system. Who knows. It is a Chevy Astro. I am beginning to appreciate more, the reliability of my old Nissan that I just sold to my brother-in-law. All I ever had to do with it was change the oil and tires. Well, sometimes I killed the battery, but we replaced that for Max before he took it off our hands.

We are actually in a major trial phase where it seems like one thing after another is piling on us. I was so blessed for the two years I was not married. God was merciful and saw to my needs. He knew what I could handle at the time. Those days were about just getting through. Now he is pushing me to be a better person. That always comes with growing pains.

Just so you know, I really didn't feel like writing anything, but I figured I would start getting hate mail in my comment box if I didn't come up with something soon. I am willing to sacrifice for the group.

6 comments:

Maryanne said...

Just so you know the Durango did that for awhile. It just needed a new battery. Also check the the cables for alot of corrotion. I don't think that is how you spell it , but you know what I mean. It can't be the starter you said it started after a jump. Go to auto Zone and tell them to test the battery it is free.

Kim and family said...

I didn't like my astro much at all. I could change a few letters in Astro and spell bad words to reflect how I really felt about it. But I will leave that to your imagination. Battery and cables is a good place to start. And alternator would be next check.

Unknown said...

Ya what they said!(whatever) I'm shopping for a new car for the family. . .one that will fit our growing family and we can trade in the other 2 to help pay for it. I tried Toyota. The Highlander and the Sequioa. I'll try thier van later this week I hope. Sierra tried to go to school but when she got there her temp was 101* I got it down to 99* So she got to come along for the drives, it was good to have her test the back - 3rd row seats for leg room. May be nice to have a stay at home Mom and Dad working from home. one car payment. Much lower land taxes and NO MORE CAR taxes! The Sequioa is 8 Passenger!

Janika said...

Devanie,

Next van I get will be the Toyota. I couldn't buy it last time because it was too new and no one had traded it in. I think American cars are for American men who need ego boosts by feeling needed for their mechanical skills.

Go foreign!

Unknown said...

Did you make that Yummy Pumpkin Roll?

Janika said...

I did make that yummy pumking roll. It was promptly devoured, even though I did not set the timer on the cake and it was a tad bit rubbery. Yesterday (Friday) I bought a big ol' pumpkin for $2 and will soon be boiling it. I also bought a little Halloween candy because I live in a neighborhood now where I might actually get some trick-or-treaters.