Friday, September 08, 2006

New activities and friends

My husband got a hairbrain. He wanted us to do something together. His dad was able to get a brand new set of golf clubs that would normally cost about $2000 for less than 200. So I went to the driving range on Tuesday night and learned how to swing a golf culb. No kids, doing family history, playing golf...I am retired!

Last night was enrichment. My honey said he missed me, but I think his lonliness was tempered by his ability to play world of warcraft for two solid hours without interruption. Scott and Arren Quiqley are a young couple in the ward that we have been having dinner/hanging out with once a week or so. Scott got Mike hooked on World of Warcraft, and he's not my friend anymore.

Arren and I get along great. Last time we were at their house, we were laughing at the unfinnished construction projects that we lived with the whole time we were growing up. I told her about how John Palmer put in our upstairs bathroom and did the joints on the drywall so that we would not have to spackle, all we would have to do was paint it. I told her how my bedroom had gone through several coats of paint, but that bathroom never did get painted. There were only message etchings in the grainy joint compound and brown water spots on the sheetrock above the sink.

We also talked about pets and cryogenic bunny babies. Much remained unsaid, you will be glad to know.

13 comments:

The Woodward Family said...

I remember that unfinish bathroom-I was always afraid someone would see me from the laundry room. Wonder why my dad didn't help out more...:-)

Unknown said...

Dove, there was no money invloved, that's why.

Kim and family said...

I remember my paranoia in that bathroom and the laundry room was so creepy with the cob webs, oh my. And the other bathroom wasn't much better. To many flashbacks,need to stop now!!

Janika said...

I did tell Arren about that one as well, but I was thinking of how the upstairs bathroom would have been so easy to at least paint, and no one ever did.

Kim, you were lucky you weren't there on the Thursday night of the reunion when we were rolling with painful laughter about our raisin' conditions. You would have more that flashbacks. Ask LeeJoe what he thinks of when you say ether. All we can do is laugh.

Dove your dad saw the way the house was originally designed and just shook his head. Then he took another look and shook his head. He wanted to be helpful. But sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

The Woodward Family said...

Hey, Devanie, not suprised about the money thing. He didn't charge a lot of people, and it made my mom so mad. I think Janika is more correct. He comes to my house and cringes. It's 53 years old, and old,(oh, I mentioned that) it's settled and cracks abound, he's afraid it's gonna fall down on his head. Shaking his head has gotten worse as he's gotten older.

Hey, at least the deck was great on those full moon, falling star nights, right Jan?

Kim and family said...

When Devanie was here we had laughs about wevils and loaf(no meat, all filler)

Janika said...

Dove,

I'm gonna cry thinking about the deck. I am in DALLAS! No falling stars here, just airplanes, airplanes, airplanes. Looking up is depressing.

Kim,
LOL about the "loaf"

Unknown said...

You guys are great. It was nice getting to see you all at once. I should be back in Utah for Thanksgiving and possibly from then - on - so we will be closer.

**Stars** ??? I see treetops. And since my home is in more of a clearing I see a couple if there aren't rain clouds hovering.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Your husband got a hairbrain????

You're supposed to say, "My husband had a hairbrained idea."

Where did you come from??? Nevada

Unknown said...

Can you tell we are sick of re-reading this? Retired people WRITE too! ;)

Unknown said...

Then again some retired people become "Hairbrain Loafs"