Monday, August 28, 2006

It's Only A Fleshwound

Isaac is the first of my children to suffer a broken bone. He was in the locker room in "pre-athletics" (guess P.E. wasn't good enough) and somehow a kid was messing with the bench, which was not bolted down and it landed on Isaac's foot. He will be on krutches for a while, but he has enjoyed a few days of staying home (his dad's house) and playing the playstation. I haven't gotten to see him since it happened, but he seems to be loving the attention.

Claire has been mothering him the way she does. It reminds me of when I was about her age and my older brother got his feet ran over. I remember a journal entry from that time complaining that I had to be his slave while he recovered. It was a role I took on myself, but apparently grew to resent--under the despotic hand of the woefully injured. I wonder if Claire will begin to feel oppressed.

The kids are with their dad during the week for this school year. Next year they will come out to Dallas to be with me personally. I am really beginning to miss having them around.

I am taking management classes right now, and though Mike is making enough money that I don't really have to work, I am thinking about trying to get a management job at a fast food resturaunt, just for the experience. It is a crazy little hairbrain, but I want to have some immediate application for what I am learning, so that I can really learn it. Besides that, it would give me something to fill in my days.

Tootles!

3 comments:

Kim and family said...

You're lucky with 4 that it took this long for your first broken bone. Amber has had a broken arm a broken nose and two sets of accidental stitches. And a severly sprained ankle. My other kids just get wacky illnesses instead. Poor Amber, she really wasn't waited on for any of it. And she still had summer school PE for 3 hours a day with the sprained ankle this summer. Good luck to Isaac. Your kids must have started school really early there then.

The Woodward Family said...

Enjoy your time with the hubby without the kids. It'll be good for your marriage. My parents had to wait 18 years to finally be alone! And by then they didn't know how to communicate without a kid around to help...it was hard on them.

Hope Isacc is feeling better!

Unknown said...

Um Jans, do you feel Retired? Maybe you should be a nanny =) Come be my nanny.