Monday, February 12, 2007

One Down 2 to Go

I make it through my first week of night shift. We are busy throughout the night, and most of the nights we got out early than expected, so we went home about the time everyone was dragging. They have bowls of candy at every supervisors station to keep our energy up, I think is the premise. For me it totally backfired because I had too much of it the first night, and by the second night, I had a major sore throat with muscle fatigue and chills. I worked a lot slower than some of the others, but I kept on working. I pumped supplements and fluid and slept the entire day and felt better when it came time to work that night. I am still phlegmming and fighting, but I continue to do what needs to be done.

I mentioned to one of the guys I am working with that I had too much candy and, hence a sore throat. He noticed the same thing, himself a day later. He already knew about how high sugar content in foods immobilizes the immune system. I asked him how he knew. He learned it in a College biology class. Something to think about for those fighting illness. Still, there are caramel squares in the candy dish. How can I not take advantage of their availability?

I just need to make it through the next two weeks of nights. I think it will be just fine. I am kind of irritated, though because we are not getting overtime like they said I would. Our team is just too efficient. There will be less people on it this week. Maybe it will be harder and take longer.

5 comments:

Kim and family said...

Good luck on the night shift thing. Hope you feel better. This is one nasty sick season up here.

The Woodward Family said...

Wow! Janika has blogged so much lately! It's great to hear from you!

Unknown said...

Take a second thought each time you reach your hand near the "Communal Candy Dish" it may not be the sugar it may be the hands that touched it. eeewww!

Maryanne said...

Maybe the candy dish is a ploy for the supervisors to get more overtime. Please have a piece of my scrumptious strepticockI. I know that most of the words are spelled incorrecty but you get my drift. P.S. I love the night shift. No one around no more customer service. Sigh.

Maryanne said...

I guess Dove scared the night halk away. Maybe will get a new post next month.