Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Brighter

Someday soon we will get paid. Mike has his official orders. His date was pushed back a week--again. But this time it is in official writing. He will be training for a week in GA beginning the 29th of April. He will leave for Iraq from there. We really needed that extra time, though Mike wishes he could just go and be done with it. He is tired of the anticipation and the stress of preparation.

We have an awesome home teacher who served in Iraq through the national guard. He has done all sorts of things to help us in our planning and prep. It is all a little overwhelming, but it is great to know where the whelming begins.

Mike had a really cool experience last night. A friend of his is a drum rep in Houston but was sponsoring a drum clinic at one of the music stores here in town being taught by Billy Cobam, a world renowned drummer. Mike was late for the clinic because he had forgotten about it as dinner was coming out of the oven, but he went to dinner with Billy and his friend the rep afterwards. Billy lives in Switzerland most of the time. Mike mentioned that we were going to be meeting in Europe midway through his tour in Iraq. Billy suggested we stay at his house and gave Mike his home phone and email. Pretty cool.

Mike has a tendency to bump into people like that. While he was working at the music store just before we got married, he had developed a great rapport with Don Henly who would often come in to the store and ask for Mike. He would just hang out and talk sometimes.

It is funny the things I have discovered about my husband--bits and pieces at a time. For example, as I was cutting his hair one time, I was singing: "I turned the radio on/ I turned the radio up, and this woman was singing my son/ lovers in love and the other runs away/lover is crying 'cause the other won't stay..." and he's singing with me. And he knows every word. I had to stop what I was doing.
"Why do you know the words to a Lisa Loeb song?"
"She's a sweet girl."
"Okay?"
"Well I did some studio work for her when I was in high school."
Apparently he was on the call list for Sony studios when they needed a drummer. It is fun getting to know the man. He has all sorts of surprises.

In other news, Isaac's bike got stolen from school yesterday. The officer gave us hope that it would be recovered. He asked us if we wanted to file a police report. I said, "A rorice rerort?" No, I didn't, I just put that in there for Dove. Anyway, if it doesn't turn up by Friday, I will file an official report.

Time to do what I haven't done since February--pick up Isaac from school.

6 comments:

Kim and family said...

Hannah likes drums. She has since she was 2. Kind of funny. I recall being afriad of loud booming noises when I was little.

The Woodward Family said...

Ok, that made me laugh so hard I had tears!!!!! Major LOL! Thanks! I needed that!

Unknown said...

We have all forgotten what mike looks like. Take a bunch of pictures before he leaves and post them!!

You will be glad you did when he's gone and you are missing him.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I Know what Mike looks like period.(Does that dot make that redundant?) BTW drummers, or ex-drummers, rule.

Maryanne said...

Thomas you were never a drummer you were a percussionist. What if Mike is just a big lier. He still wants to impress you. Well I met John wayne bobbit. He autographaed a buisness card for me It said' " Thanks for slicing me a peace of fudge, Your loyala customer John wayne bobbit" and it had a butcher knife on the bottom of it. PS that is how he spelled loyal.

Janika said...

Mareyane, you spelt loyal fine. You crack me up. Thomas could've been a drummer, but he never had a drum kit. Did you play in Leonard's band, Mas?